Friday, February 4, 2011

Spring Festival Fireworks #1


Spring Festival is in full swing, which means that everything is very loud. It's ten at night here and people are setting off M-80s and huge strings of black cats outside my window. Last year I only really blew stuff up for a day or so before retreating into my house (due to shell shock), but this year I've had a lot of fun blowing up anything I can wherever and whenever. In case you can't tell from the picture, I'm enjoying myself.

Two night ago was the kickoff. We went to Holly's house to eat dumplings and have ridiculous, dangerous fun. Her son Josh, as a Chinese person, was our designated artillery sergeant a
nd assisted the white people in operating in relative safety. There were a few misfires, but no one got hurt. It was like a warzone that night; most people went inside to watch the Spring Festival show on TV, but after that everyone went to their communal courtyards and commenced turning the place into a warzone. The streets were filled with smoke and barren of people; everyone was at home, but the skies were filled with competing reports of mortar shells.

Yesterday was a lot quieter. Most of the shops in town were closed. Less explosions. The malls were open or business, but there was no line at Dairy Queen so I treated myself right.

One of the best parts about Spring Festival is that there are fireworks stands everywhere, usually just heaps of explosives piled on a pair of folding tables on inauspicious street corners. Safety last: a year ago, one of the stands caught wind of a wandering spark and exploded all over the street.

The best stands are the ones that do free demonstrations of their wares. A place near the Jinshui Canal shot off very loud things along with other things that shot up in the air before parachuting the burned out core to the earth and safety. Last night we came across a stand willing to show off their biggest, loudest and most colorful before we bought. They were more than willing to show off their 20rmb per round gi-fucking-gantic artillery shells. They were also willing to negotiate with me.

Sean and his dad bought five of the huge rounds, which looked like big, white, menacing turnips. They shot up about a hundred feet before exploding into beautiful flowers of light. Then one misfired and became a hellacious rain of scariness for me because I was standing next to my decidedly more amateur but still concentrated haul of explodables.

I have to interject that my neighbors often wake me up early in the morning on decidedly non-holidays with the loud crackly of black cats, so that night, a relatively quiet one for Spring Festival, I made sure to detonate every one of my round within my gated community thing. I didn't take enough pictures.

Earlier in the day we strung a 10k-round blackcat down the stairs to my house and set it off. It was loud, went on for over five minutes, but only added a bit to the red-paper filled walkways. Picture of that to follow.

I have some GREAT videos of the last few evenings, but I'm new to youtube and it takes forever to upload over my VPN. However, I'll try to make a second post tomorrow with less writing and more wow. In the meantime:

My walkway after the first night:



Setting up the big roll o' blackcats:




Internet willing, I'll have videos to post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment